I'm a huge fan of quitting. If you quit something enough times, eventually it might stick. Our culture celebrates winners, achievers and rain makers. Those who try and succeed are inspirational. They make us want to stretch further and see what we can do. I love the stories of those who struggle against all odds and overcome. I'm thrilled when someone, faced with an obstacle, kicks and screams and pushes their way through, coming out on the other side in full victory!
But what about those who try and fail? Who cheers on the career quitters, those who want to stop overeating, smoking, drinking...whatevsies...but fall down time and time again? I've raised 5 children and this I know. As each one of them learned to walk they'd toddle a few steps and then plop down on their amply padded bottoms. They fell over and over again, sometimes shedding tears bitterly, as they tried to master this new skill. I always encouraged them. I was proud of their efforts. Not once did I tell my babies to stay down, since it was obvious they weren't experiencing the success we all longed for.
No way! I clapped for them, encouraged them and knew that in due time they'd waddle their way across the room, unassisted. They just had to keep practicing. I love quitters because they stay engaged in the battle. I love quitters because somehow, intrinsically, they know there's something better on their horizon and they keep reaching for it. I love quitters because if they don't quit quitting they eventually win.
My younger brother, John, fought life long battles. They haunted him, relentlessly pursued him and cost him years of brokenness and heartache. But he kept quitting. He'd get to the end of his tether, want more for himself and he'd determine to quit again. He'd win a little and his addictions would win a little and then he'd suffer a downward slide. After an excruciating amount of time he'd renew his commitment to sobriety and he'd quit again.
And he won! He quit for the last time and he experienced a real life. He accomplished things, felt proud of himself. He treasured his son as well as those who helped him by loving him fiercely, held a responsible job and joined a gym. He quit until he quit and he won. Whatever you're warring against, keep quitting. Start over every Monday, the first of every month, the beginning of a new year, but don't stop in your efforts to quit. If you won't you'll eventually win! I believe in you...I believed in John and he did it!
Some of the truest words ever spoken! Even those who followed Christ, hand in hand, stumbled. They would fall and fail repeatedly in there own, unique, areas of weakness. Christ never said "enough is enough"... To the contrary, Christ reminded them of the end goal and helped them back to the right path. A wise man once said, "every path leads somewhere." It is never to late to choose a different route. Uncle John did it! Uncle John lived hard, and faught back even harder. I am proud of him!
ReplyDelete