Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Family
The older I get, the more I appreciate family. My heart grows larger as I see my children moving forward in life. One of my sons makes great commercials, and one of them gave my my first grandson. He's an incredible kid, and smart as a whip. He is a blast to hang out with...One of my son's leads worship at the Rock, and my daughter is getting ready to style hair on an mtv reality tv show. My youngest son is graduating from college in a few weeks, and preparing for grad school. Do I sound like I'm overly impressed with my own kids? Maybe I am, but they are my family and I get great joy out of each of them. My brothers, my sister, my cousins. Lot's of great memories. Nothing brings me more joy than family. Last Sunday I ate lunch with my church family. These are my peeps, and I love them all. Lot's of great stories to tell about people who love each other, and love the kingdom of God. They often work together at loving people outside the family, and it makes me proud to be related to them. The greatest joy I experience in life comes from family. This thanksgiving while I'm giving thanks to my God, I'll be thankful for family. How about you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Coming from a dysfunctional family and being an abuse survivor, I have come to believe that family are those who are always there for you, who love you no matter what, tell you the truth when it hurts, stand by you when you stand or fall, and hold you up in prayer all the time. When DNA connects you with those people it is awesome, but it takes more than blood to make you "family". And being related genetically is no justification for using someone to be an object, on which you take out your hate and anger. I am thankful for all the true "family" God has put into my life.
ReplyDeleteWell spoken...
ReplyDeleteAs children you watch your parents with a sense of greatness. You assume that your dad is all powerful, your mother is all loving, and the world starts and ends with their abilities. Then, as it were, you grow up. The realization that your mother is just a woman and your father is just a man shifts your view of the world and things change. It is a powerful thing to come back from that and see that as a man your father has done, and continues to do, great things; Your mother is more loving than you ever knew, and smarter than she'll ever know. Pride with in a family starts with my parents. They, with the hand of God, formed the people their children are becoming!